Tuesday 6 September 2011

So called ‘Natural’ brands


One of the things I rant about more than anything else is the brands that print natural or organic on their products when in fact they’re actually full of ingredients that no true organic brand would touch. There are lots of them out there, but I’m going to focus on one product, simply because the other half brought it home when he did the shopping this week (I thought I had him better trained than that!).


I asked him to pick me up a hand wash, and he came home with Palmolive Naturals Milk and Honey, he’d read the packing and thought it would be okay as it contains milk, honey and aloe vera, and has “Extracts of 100% Natural Origin”. That’s true, it does have extracts of milk and honey, but it also has:

Sodium C12-13 Pareth Sulfate and Glycol Distearate: both of which are synthetic derivitaives from petroleum, as well as Tetrasodium EDTA, Polyquaternium-7, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer and Laureth-4.

It’s products like this that make it so difficult for people to know which brands are truly natural, and which are just jumping on the green washing band wagon!




1 comment:

  1. I completely agree! I have been enraged walking down the toiletry aisle in the supermarket looking at these brands present some kind of natural extract all over their packaging, when in fact the vast majority of the ingredients in the formula are nothing like natural. It makes it harder for the average consumer to know what they are buying and is so misleading! I just wrote an article on my blog BEskincareful which I would love it if you read. Feel free to comment on my post too if you fancy. Nice blog. Great to find you - Following on Twitter. :-) http://beskincareful.blogspot.com/2011/12/word-on-greenwashing.html

    ReplyDelete